Wednesday 24 August 2011

Live Brief For Owens & Kim.

At university we got set a live brief for a fashion print company called Owens & Kim based in London. We were asked to produce three final garment shapes from the templates provided based on the layout 1950's scarfs. As soon as i was given my brief i decided to take a trip to Manchester as there are loads of cute vintage shops there full of inspiration.

Manchester was brill and found lots of inspiration to start my drawing at research, i also made an appointment to look at the Betty Smithers Collection at university where i got some shots of vintage scarfs on models. Here are some photographs of my trips and inspiration..... :)

Lots of scarfs! Everywhere!
Loved manchester such a fun yet inspirational trip!   

Betty Smither's Collection.....
Mood board i produced from my research so far....


Lenny the lady from Owens & Kim took a visit to the studio to see how we were getting on with our research, she was very helpful and asked inspired me most from the things i had seen so far. I loved the old vintage horses, flowers and butterflies. So she suggested i created an old vintage fair theme to draw from. I decided i wanted it to be in a spring summer 2011 collection so looked at magazines such as 'Look' and 'Vogue' to find some trends that are fresh, girly and colourful!


 Bellow is my colour board, i used buttercup yellows, lime greens, candy floss pinks and cherry red. Love creating mood boards adding my buttons and ribbons. I was very inspired by Cath Kidson's colours and Pip Studios 'Kitch' feel. Hope you like it!




I decided to create my Vintage Fairground mood i wanted to take a trip to London to have a look at some little toy shops and anything else i might find! Really enjoyed gathering my research i found a lot of things in London....


cute toy shop in Islington London, old fairground scene :)



Love these old teddies.....
swirly candy cane!


This is my new mood board for my vintage fairground theme filled with inspiration i can draw from.


I then started to do some black and white drawings using different media to then put onto Photoshop. I did small small A4 samples of my layouts for my garments to see if the colours worked well etc. I didn't like the feel it gave to my drawings as i wanted quite a handmade feel about my final designs. So i continued playing around and started to use the heat transfer dyes onto the different polyester fabrics. This worked really well for what effect i was looking for so i kept playing around with layouts and the dyes. Then created my final pieces.

These are just a selection of my final garments.....




No comments:

Post a Comment